Sunday, February 12, 2012

Scaling the whole universe















































































Today I saw a very interesting post by Phil Plait about an amazing interactive tool for seeing The Scale of the Universe 2. It was developed by Cary and Michael Huang. Six images from it are shown above (click on any of them to enlarge). The spacing between them is a zoom factor of a billion (ten to the ninth power). They did a wonderful job of putting in objects we already know about.

In some previous posts I’ve talked about showing the size of things. Last July I discussed What can we say about a really big hole in the ground? A year ago I asked Is it bigger than a breadbox? Can I hold it in my hand? Back in 2010 I described How thin is “extremely thin”?

No comments: