There is an article by Lauren Parsons on pages 19 and 20 in the August 2026 issue of Toastmaster magazine titled Before You Write a Word. It has the following section titles:
Start With Your Audience, Not Yourself
From Information to Inspiration
Build Your Foundation with Research
Create a Story Bank
Map Your Speech First
Let It Percolate
The section on Map Your Speech First says:
“Before drafting a single line, understand your speech at a high level. Past International President Dilip Abayasekara, DTM, AS, of Conestoga Toastmasters in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and four other clubs, has used mind mapping (a technique where you visually organize your ideas, words, or topics, linking them around a central subject or message) to prepare every speech since 1994, including both rounds of his Accredited Speaker presentations. ‘I rarely write out a speech word for word,’ he says. ‘I mind map it.’ ”
On December 14, 2025 I blogged about More about mind mapping for presentations and in education. And back on July 5, 2009 I blogged about Two types of speech outlines: speaking and preparation. I pointed out that:
“A speaking outline is just a brief outline used to jog a speaker’s memory during the presentation of a speech. It uses phrases or key words to state main points and sub points.”
A mind map also can be used for a speaking outline.
The American Culture mind map image by Vmarss came from Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:
Post a Comment