Friday, July 24, 2020

Always try your best for success

























Stephen Pastis’s Pearls Before Swine cartoon for today has the following dialogue:

Pig: What do you think is the key to success?

Goat: To always try your best.

Pig: Why is that the key?

Rat: Because that way when you fail, you’ll know you can’t do 
        any better and can then just sit around eating bonbons.

Pig: I do that now!

Rat: So you’ve already succeeded.

Goat: Let’s start over.

That cartoon reminded me I’ve seen an awful lot of quotations (and a lot of awful quotations) about success. Perhaps the simplest oft-quoted one is Woody Allen’s, which is something like that:

“Eighty percent of success is showing up.”


























I decided to make up another of my own, as is shown above. The 1900 image of a city and key was retitled from one at the Library of Congress.

No comments: