Saturday, March 27, 2021

The joy of changing to an iPhone


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A couple weeks ago my first Android smartphone, a 24 Gb Samsung Galaxy Relay (shown above), began misbehaving. First it would not let me receive calls, then it wouldn’t let me make them, and finally I could only receive texts. My phone had become a paperweight! When I called our service provider I found they had it classed as 3G and were no longer supporting it. My wife and then I bought those phones over five years ago. She liked that the Relay had a real keyboard. My wife had our service account so she received an email about support soon being discontinued, but I never did.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At that point we ordered a pair of relatively inexpensive Apple replacements - red 128 Gb Apple iPhone SEs (as shown above). I am just starting to read the iPhone for Dummies book and find out how to set up and use everything. My wife already has accidentally swiped downward and lowered her screen brightness to unreadable. Then she had to call support for help. We both have Macs, so the iPhones eventually should let us easily sync information with our desktop computers. The iPhone SE does not have a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack – just a Lightning connector on the bottom, so I had to order an $8 adapter. Our Galaxy Relay phones each had 8Gb built in memory with a 16 Gb micro SDHC memory card added to a slot, but the iPhones with 128 Gb have over five times as much memory.

 

We both needed to move photos from the Android phones to our Macs. At some point we had changed email addresses, and the phones quit being able to just email photos. Trying to upload photos to a Mac was not simple. But going directly to our Lenovo laptop with Windows was. 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once I got the photos moved and re-entered my contacts, I decided to open up the Galaxy, which has almost no resale value. The motherboard behind the keyboard is shown above.  

 


No comments: