Wednesday, August 23, 2023

An incomplete fix for condensation from our central air conditioner

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On August 29, 2021 I blogged about A draining experience with our central air conditioner. In that post I described how a technician from Advanced Heating and Cooling redid the drain piping in the attic to add a cleanout cap (as shown above in red). After that repair the primary drain for condensation was working correctly, and it did so all summer of 2022.

 

But on Monday my wife told me she again heard water dripping behind the wall of the master bedroom. Access to the attic is via a hatch on the ceiling to the walk-in closet off of the master bedroom. I climbed up there and found that the secondary drain pan again was overflowing. I removed the cleanout cap, and found the drain pipe was not full of water. Then I bailed the drain pan out using a one-quart plastic cube container, and poured the water into the drain pipe.

 

Obviously there still is condensation happening on the bottom of the air handler. Apparently last year the warm weather was over before the pan overflowed. This year we weren’t so lucky. A problem we thought was solved was not completely over. Next year I’ll need to check the pan at the end of July.

 

By the way, getting up into the attic is a two-step process. First I used an eight-foot stepladder to push up the lid for the hatch and put it on the attic floor. Second, I got out my Little Giant extension ladder, unfolded it, put it in the closet, and extended it.   

 

 


No comments: