Monday, December 6, 2010
Book suggestions for the holidays
If you are serious about public speaking, then you will want Santa to bring you some good books rather than just games or toys. Here are seven suggestions with current prices at Amazon. I have read or skimmed these at my friendly local public library:
1. Kristin Arnold, Boring to Bravo, 2010, $17
2. James S. O’Rourke, The Truth About Confident Presenting, 2010 $15
3. Scott S. Smith, The Everything Public Speaking Book, 2008, $12
4. Richard Zeoli, The 7 Principles of Public Speaking, 2008, $10
5. Timothy Koegel, The Exceptional Presenter, 2007 $15.
6. Marathe Mandar, The Successful Speaker, 2007 $27
7. Cyndi Maxey and Kevin O’Conner, Present Like a Pro, 2006, $10
Check the shelves at your local bookstore, either an independent or a chain (perhaps Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc). Another was is to go online and look at Amazon. You can use the Look Inside feature at Amazon, or search Google Books to examine the table of contents and sample some pages before you buy.
Don’t just assume that Amazon will have the lowest price! When comparing prices it is useful to try Bookfinder, which has a default setting that lists total prices including shipping. There are other less obvious ways to buy books, but that’s another story.