Monday, December 10, 2018

Including relevant details makes a story come alive


























At Spiceworks there was an unusual information technology (IT) help desk story involving a head of lettuce.

A user had called and told me her computer would not turn on. When I went upstairs and checked it, I found the pilot light LED would not go on, and the monitor and its pilot light LED was also dark. I followed their power cords heading left across the back of the desk and down to the floor. On the left side of her desk there was an overturned paper grocery bag. The power strip was on the floor. I couldn’t see the rocker switch because there was a head of iceberg lettuce sitting on top of it. Of course, it was in the off position from an unusual direct hit. The incident was written up as a ‘death by vegetable.’

I also found a mouse tale there:
















“The user slapped a device down on the counter and exclaimed, ‘My mouse doesn’t work!’ The IT pro picked it up, looked at it, then slapped it back down and responded, ‘that’s because it’s your garage door opener!’ “

The powerstrip and garage door opener images came from Wikimedia Commons.  

No comments: