Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Not a warning from Netflix
























Details like spelling and grammar matter a lot in getting a message across. But some phishing emails assume you can be distracted like a squirrel (as shown above).















A few days ago I received an email (shown above) claiming my Netflix subscription would end today, and asking me to click on a link to update my payment methode. I didn’t fall for that fraud.






























What’s wrong with that email? First, the subject line contains phrases in both Dutch and Italian. Second, the address it came from was not Netflix. Third, the spelling and grammar are wrong –
“please update your payment methode for continue Netflix feature.”

The email reminded me of a Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal cartoon on October 11, 2019 with the following dialogue:

Bearded guy: You’re doing the ‘Nigerian Prince’ scam. That’s the oldest con on the internet. You’d have to be an idiot to fall for it.  

Scammer: Precisely.

Why do you think all e-mail scams are stupid? Why do they feature implausible stories and badly written English? It’s a low-pass filter for morons.

I am selectively locating the most catastrophic bumblef*cks on the planet and extracting their wealth.

Bearded guy: But is that okay? Aren’t those people the least likely to have wealth and power?

Scammer: Hoo boy. We need to have a talk.

UPDATE November 29, 2019 



























Today I got another email with Spanish and outrageous French as is shown above.

No comments: