Saturday, April 9, 2022

Was that data aggravated or aggregated?


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sometimes I find a little gaffe that makes me laugh. At the Present Voices web site by Lee Bonvissuto there is an undated web page titled Public Speaking is Everywhere. It begins by saying that most people have trouble with impromptu speaking describing ideas.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Under a vertical bar chart with the interesting data shown above via a horizontal one, it says that:

 

“Data is aggravated from thousands of participants in my corporate workshops, along with my private clients.”

 

I think she meant to say aggregated rather than aggravated. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition for aggravate is to make worse, more serious, or more severe; while the definition for aggregate instead is to collect or gather into a mass or whole. Perhaps she typed that page using Autocomplete software.

 

On March 16, 2022 I blogged about Five things you need to be a highly effective public speaker. In that post I linked to a series of 25 articles from Authority Magazine at Medium which also should have included this one by Lee Bonvissuto (although it incorrectly lists her first name as Leah).

 

A pyramid with aggravated data was assembled using animal numbers adapted from this one and similar ones found at Openclipart.

 


No comments: