Thursday, July 14, 2022

Hyundai recalls ~240,000 vehicles for seat belt pretensioners like little hand grenades


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back on April 14, 2016 I blogged about How not to communicate – Honda told me my car is literally da bomb, and on December 6, 2018 I blogged about how My 2012 Honda Fit is still da bomb – another Takata airbag inflator recall. Those defective Takata airbag inflators could produce shrapnel rather than just blowing up the airbag.

 

An article at NPR on May 24, 2022 is titled Hyundai is recalling 239,000 cars for exploding seat belt parts. Their seat belt pretensioners also can behave like small hand grenades. Pretensioners are meant to take up slack in the seat belt to keep an occupant from jerking forward during a crash. Another safety system meant to reduce injury in a crash instead could cause it.      

 

The hand grenade cartoon came from Openclipart.

 


No comments: