Thursday, July 20, 2023

Three blackmail attempts mentioning the Cobalt Strike Beacon


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On July 1, 2023 I blogged about getting Three more bogus blackmail phishing emails. In the last two days I got three more emails that attempted to impress me by mentioning something called the Cobalt Strike Beacon. When I did a Google search I found that topic had been mentioned both at Microsoft Answers on March 23, 2022 in an article titled Cobalt Strike “Beacon” and at Norton on January 12, 2023 in another article titled Cobalt Strike Beacon. They claimed to have access to my camera (which I have blocked with a piece of black electrical tape), and demanded that unless I send them a Bitcoin payment they will reveal my nasty behavior.

 

The Federal Trade Commission also has a Consumer Advice web page on How to recognize and avoid phishing scams.

 

The lighthouse was modified from an image at Openclipart.

 


No comments: