Monday, October 15, 2018

My fiftieth high school reunion

















On October 6th I attended the 50th reunion of my 1968 class at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh. Back then Allderdice was a junior and senior high school with about 3400 students in grades 7 to 12 (so my class would have had about 570). As shown above, in a pre-1945 postcard, the front entrances facing Shady Avenue had three long sets of terraces and steps. Perhaps 200 were at the reunion. Most looked grayer, fatter (and balder).

On January 15, 2017 I blogged about how the slogan for Taylor Allderdice was Know Something, Do Something, Be Something. In my varied career I wrote a couple of review articles. One I blogged about on March 18, 2013 in a post titled What is your hearing threshold? – the joy of statistics was presented in 1984 at the annual Corrosion conference held by NACE International. (I also presented at the 1982 and 2004 conferences). A decade later I wrote another article for SAE International titled Spot Weld Failure Analysis for Accident Reconstruction. My name also is on U.S. patent 4,832,757, Method for producing normalized grade D sucker rods.


























The day before the reunion my wife and I visited Fallingwater, the famous summer home on a waterfall designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. He conceived it when he was 68 years old – a reminder that those of us at retirement age still can be creative.   

  

No comments: